Saturday 6 June 2009

I Love Words

I'm talking passive aggressive, here. Physically anyway; a large dose of massive verbal aggression is playing protagonist.

WHY?

Easy. The use of proverbs, popular sayings and pointless phraseology through absolute laziness. "Wake up and smell the coffee!", "hasta la vista", "I'm not being funny, but", "do you know what I mean?"... and the worst of them all, the use of a gratuitous "hun" in a text. They make me heave. All of them, and more.

I am a hypocrite - I use the word "dichotomy" in most things I write but hell, it's not throwaway! It's the lack of context with which these words are thrown into the space just in front of their plank-conveyer's mouth of stone that makes me feel vomitacious; people can be so lazy.

Hayley: "Ooh look, someone's just said something, what can I say in response? I am a bit stupid but I've only got a tiny word repertoire"
Stacey: "Oh, I know! We can use that phrase makes no practical sense, because we know it!"

Look, the English language is a precious thing. There's a huge mountain of words underused by the public-at-large - they're just a dictionary away for you precious idles. Although please stop and shoot me if I ever hear any of many of seemingly braindead buswrecks in the local vicinity using a personal favourite, "symbiotic". Stop me right there.

No comments:

Post a Comment